Before you start, read these:
1. Remember that you can only READ CVs in Program Track Mode / Service Mode
2. When trying to read a decoder and you get a manufacturer ID of 255 and/or multiple readings of 255 from the decoder for other CVs, too, that is an error message.
3. When trying to read the CVs of a SOUND decoder on an older Power Pro / Ph-Pro system box, you might need a programming track booster like the Soundtraxx PTB-100.
4. The manufacturer ID is for the locomotive decoder you are programming and has nothing to do with what system you are using. The manufacturer id is the value of CV8. Example: CV8=11 means NCE made the decoder.
5. To learn more about a configuration variable (CV) and how to change them with an NCE system, read this article: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205053429-How-to-read-or-change-a-CV
6. It is always a good idea to reboot your system and the decoder after a factory reset. Some decoders might not be completely reset until the power is removed and restored. Similar to rebooting a PC after it is updated.
Each decoder and decoder manufacturer has different CVs and settings. This is not related to the DCC system you use. You will need to find this information from the decoder manufacturer.
The procedure for changing a CV on an NCE system is relatively straightforward.
For the 5amp Power Pro / PH-Pro / CS02 Command station with the dedicated program track output:
1. Put the loco that needs to be changed on the program track output. This is the two-pin plug output on the right side of the command station. Labeled as "Program Track."
2. On the bottom left corner of the Pro Cab, press the PROG/ESC key 4 times. Look for “use program trk” then press enter.
3. Press 2 for CV. The display will read prog CV num.
4. Enter the CV you wish to change or read press enter.
The PH-Pro will access the decoder and display the current value of that CV.
A. write the current value of the CV down in case you need to reverse your changes.
B. If you do not wish to change the CV, press enter, then press prog /esc. To exit out to a normal loco running screen
C. If you want to change the value of the CV, enter it on the keypad now. If you make a mistake, reenter the number.
D. Press enter when you are done, then press prog /esc. To exit out to a normal loco running screen.
E. Put loco back on the main track output to test your changes. You cannot run a loco on the program track output.
For the 2amp Power Cab starter set:
- Remove ALL locos except the one you are working on.
- Press the prog/esc key 4 times. Look for “use program trk”.
- Press enter.
- Press 2 for your CV. The display will read prog CV num. Enter the CV you wish to change,
- Press enter.
- The Power Cab will access the decoder and display the current value of that CV.
- Write the current value of the CV down in case you need to reverse your changes.
- If you do not wish to change the CV, press enter, then press prog /esc. To exit out to a normal loco running screen.
- If you want to change the value of the CV, enter it on the keypad now. If you make a mistake, just reenter the number.
- Press enter when you are done, then press prog /esc. to exit out to a normal loco running screen.
- remove and restore power to the entire system if it looks like your changes did not work or you get unexpected results.